Contact Email for all queries: galwaychess[at]gmail[dot]com . If you want to be added to our mailing list to receive weekly updates on our goings-on, please send an email to that address.
Here’s some summary information on when and where we meet:
- Venue: Galway Bridge Centre (upstairs)
- Address: St. Marys Road, Galway
- When: Thursdays from 7.30 p.m. (occasionally we have a different start-time: see detailed info on Home Page)
- Season: From September to April
- (Also, regular informal meetings in the Mechanics Institute from 8pm on Tuesdays, but best to shoot us an email in advance just to confirm.)
Anyone can call in on the night to find out what happens or maybe have a couple of games of blitz. Members vary from the young to the old and from beginners to masters. Here is a list of activities we engage in:
- Club Winter League (7 long rated games in a season at the club)
- Rapid play competition (hour-long games; one a month)
- Monthly blitz tournaments
- Connaught League
- Galway club usually enters a team in the Irish National Club competition, which takes place in April. When we have done well, that has qualified us to play in the European Club Cup, alongside all the greats of the chess world.
- Casual games
Some nights have more formal activities going on than others but anyone can call in and spectate.
Summer Chess in Galway
Some club members (and some players on holidays in the city) have often met informally in a Galway pub during the Summer. For more up-to-date information on this, feel free to shoot us an email.